>Right. The DCR-PC100 is one of the cigarette sized box ones. It's the
>latest U.S. model. It appears in the latest Sony Style (the one with
>Milla Jovovich) on the front cover on page 91

That would explain my confusion, sorry 'bout that folks, downunder, in our
usual late releases, we have only had the PC3 for a few months.

>Besides a photo of the camcorder itself with i's two and a half inch
>swivel screen open, a brief synopsis spells out a few highlights:
>
>Digital Video Recording
>First Mega Pixel CCD DV Camcorder (1/4"-1070k Pixels) (We have since
>learned here thanks to Graham Baker, in reality it uses only 680k for
>Video, the extra pixels are for still shots only which is a shame since
>the TRV900 has 1,140,000 total pixels, if 1,070,000 pixels on this
>camera were actually used for Video, quality would be very, very close
>to the TRV900. But they're not.)
>520 Lines Of Horizontal Video Resolution (Don't know how this can be
>true in relation to the above. While Sony isn't exactly engaging in
>misleading advertising, they are certainly embellishing the truth. I
>think most people who buy this camera will never know they're getting
>only 680k pixels for Video, not the 1070k claimed by Sony.)
>Memory Mode With Memory Stick Digital Storage Media
>High Quality Mega Pixel 1152 x 864 Still Image Resolution (this is where
>the 1070k pixels are used)
>Advanced 'HAD' CCD Technology (Sounds very impressive, right? A quick
>glance at Sony's still digital cameras reveal they use this technology.
>Of course, if you didn't invesigate throughly (in this case you would
>have to do much more than just ask a salesperson) you would believe this
>applies to Video, because that is what is clearly implied, rather than
>still images only.

Don't be too sure, Sony have sued PowerHAD on their Pro video models for
ages now.

>It would be nice if Sony could make their digital still cameras capable
>of shooting and storing not just MPEG video, but MPEG2 video and you
>could really be off and running with a high quality camcorder. And it
>would be a real reason for people to move into adapting Sony's Memory
>Stick tecnology if real time MPEG2 video could be stored on them,
>transferred and edited into film any way the user desired.

Christopher Spalding
Genius, generally excellent and gifted person.
(ICQ#: 43270049)