Well, here's a big bonus of the Sharp over the Sony portables - for lecture
recording the Sharp's are great.
The syncro-start feature works very well, nothing is missed from the start
of the recording thanks to the record/audio buffer.
There's two sensitivity settings so that (hopefully) it doesn't record
ambient noise.
You can also set timed track marks every 3, 5 or 10 mins for easy access
and AFAIK, the later models also have time/date stamp (not my old

Not sure what features the Aiwa or Panasonics have.......

GB