"J. Coon" wrote:

> If you made a recording to MD with microphones, it is an analog recording, and
> it will allow a digital copy to be made from it.  However, if you make a digital
> copy of the MD to another MD, the SCMS bits will be set to not allow another
> digital copy to be made.

That's absolutely correct, Jim.  And it is wrong that you should not be able to make
a digital copy of a copy of your own music.  Suppose you decided to record some
sessions that you band made.  You should not be limited by SCMS.

But the question that I have is this.  Since ATRAC is a lossy technique, would you
start to notice the degradation in sound quality on the first copy (second
generation) MD?  Or would it go undetected to the human ear for several copies of
copies??

Because I do not have an MD recorder that is capable of defeating SCMS there is no
way that I can test this theory myself.

Has anyone ever experimented with this??  I know that Eric W. has a recorder that
can bypass SCMS.

Regards,
Larry