LAS wrote:

> "J. Coon" wrote:
> > If you made a recording to MD with microphones, it is an analog recording, and
> > it will allow a digital copy to be made from it.  However, if you make a digital
> > copy of the MD to another MD, the SCMS bits will be set to not allow another
> > digital copy to be made.
> >

> That's absolutely correct, Jim.  And it is wrong that you should not be able to make
> a digital copy of a copy of your own music.  Suppose you decided to record some
> sessions that you band made.  You should not be limited by SCMS.

Yep, I agree and I ran into the very same problem.  The way the law is written, really
sucks.

> But the question that I have is this.  Since ATRAC is a lossy technique, would you
> start to notice the degradation in sound quality on the first copy (second
> generation) MD?  Or would it go undetected to the human ear for several copies of
> copies??

I have a recording that I think is about 5th genereation.  It is  on a sample MD the I
gor from a list memeber some time ago.  He recorder various test signals on it and made
several generations of copies. It was hard to tell the difference from one copy to the
next until you got past 5 generations, as I recall.   I think the MD is still
available.   It was mentioned on the MD comunity page.

> Because I do not have an MD recorder that is capable of defeating SCMS there is no
> way that I can test this theory myself.
>
> Has anyone ever experimented with this??  I know that Eric W. has a recorder that
> can bypass SCMS.
>
> Regards,
> Larry

Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways