David:

>G> If I make an analogue recording to my hard disk it has no SCMS bits set,
>G> or is classed as 'unlimited digital copy'.
>
>Er, no.  Depending on your ripping software, usually it will be stored,
>regardless of whether the connection from your MD player to your hard disk
>was analog or digital, in some format that has no SCMS information at all,
>like .wav or .mp3.  If later your soundcard generates S/PDIF output from it
>to record to CDR or MD, the soundcard will have to think of some way to set
>the SCMS bits in the outgoing S/PDIF stream.

OK, so my hard disc analogue recordings .wav files contain no SCMS
information. Is it not surprising though that my soundcard drivers output
these files over the optical out with SCMS set to unlimited? I'd have
expected it to send something like "SCMS-unknown" so that the MD would then
generate an "SCMS-penultimate" recording, instead of sending "SCMS-unlimited".

John