* Matt White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Mon, 28 Feb 2000
| Okay, then here's the technical reason:  CDs are sampled at an
| insufficient rate to ensure proper reproduction.  CDs are sampled at
| 44.1kHz, which gives a maximum frequency of 20kHz.

22.05, actually, due to the phenomenon known as "aliasing".

[...]
| This is one of the motivations behind SACD and DVD-Audio, which sample at
| 96kHz, if my memory is correct.

DVD-Video's audio formats, dts and Dolby Digital (AC-3) have the capability
to handle sampling rates up to 96KHz, providing a frequency response of up
to 43KHz.  That does not mean all DVD-Video discs will have dts (many do
not), Dolby Digital (some do not), or sampling rates nearly that high (very
few do).

| Of course, those formats also do 5.1, which I find ridiculous, but that's
| my personal opinion.

I think that if you had five surround speakers plus a super subwoofer, you
would think differently.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged