=== The original message was multipart MIME            ===
 === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

     Edward Nigma wrote:

> I agree with LAS in the sense that MD and Mp3's involve compression.

> So do cd's for that matter. Cant wait to get my hands on SACD

Technically that is correct.  But the compression is much less then an LP.

> Cant wait to get my hands on SACD and DVD-audio.
> Supposedly, they match the fullness and warmth of LP's.

What give LPs their "warmth isn't a lack of compression, it probably IS the
compress (at least in part..  They are heavily compressed and have cut off
limits at the high and low ends.  The compression is necessary because of the
limited dynamic range it has to be limited to handle what the medium can
handle.

As I'm sure most of you know, the dynamic range is the difference between the
quietest sound ahd the loudest sound on a track.  We have grown so accustom to
"electronic" music that we have in some cases grown to enjoy it better then
live.

There is nothing wrong with this.  If the recording engineer can become a part
of the creative process by the way they use compress and electronic processing
and we like the final result, that's great.

But I really think that the "warmth" of LPs is mostly do to the limitations of
the media.  Even those clicks and pops contribute.  One quiet passages they
may be annoying.  But on louder passages where they are not obvious, they
still effect the overall sound.

So until you hear any new recorded media for your self, reserve your
judgment.  Remember the next step up from CD is going to have even less
distortion, a wider dynamic range and a flatter frequency response.

Regards,
Larry

 === MIME part removed : text/html; ===