On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Simon Barnes wrote:

> This seems to be a matter of belief. I don't believe it, but then I'm an
> Electronic Engineer, and therefore hopelessly blinkered.

Okay, then here's the technical reason:  CDs are sampled at an
insufficient rate to ensure proper reproduction.  CDs are sampled at
44.1kHz, which gives a maximum frequency of 20kHz.  Significant portions
of the populace can actually audibly detect frequencies up to 25kHz.  It
is unknown what subconcious effect the missing frequencies might have on
those who do not detect those frequencies explicitly.

This is one of the motivations behind SACD and DVD-Audio, which sample at
96kHz, if my memory is correct.  Of course, those formats also do 5.1,
which I find ridiculous, but that's my personal opinion.

-Matt