At 3/1/00 4:31 AM, Guy Churchill increased the world's knowledge by
typing:

>I may not have made it perfectly clear, but I was referring to
>portable recorders NOT home decks (which I do prefer to see PS/2 port or
>some type of PC comms link - USB preferred).

Didn't I recently see something about Kenwood experimenting with adding
FireWire to a MD deck? I believe their goal was to have it completely
replace the current optical digital connections.

Imagine the possibilities of putting such an interface on all audio and
video equipment. (Many video cameras already have such an interface.) You
could connect your computer to your A/V setup letting you do amazing
stuff. For example, use the computer to title tracks, dump MP3s DIRECTLY
to MD, use MD Data disks to hold and display pictures on computer, TV, or
any other viewing device, or have the computer scan video signals for
certain topics and have the VCR (or DVD RAM) record the show, or record
that show you wanted after the football game *finally* ends, etc.

FireWire would also make a great independent standard. No more "I have to
buy a Sony to match the rest of my system."

Does anyone know if something like this is coming down the pike?

 Ed "What the" Heckman                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]