horst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>...that last by me message was supposed to be private always
>catches me! would someone switch of this really annoying auto
>reply to list thing it really serves no purpose other than to
>increase traffic if people really want to post to the list then
>they should make a concious decision to do so. This is the only
>list I'm on which has this bug.

It's not a bug, and it's actually the default on more lists than not. It
encourages on-list discussion, whereas setting the reply to default to
the author means that good discussion often gets sent via private email.

It's really a matter of personal preference for the ListMom, but I've
been a ListMom on over 50 mailing lists (anywhere from 25 to 10,000
members) and I've found reply-to-list to be a better method on all but a
few. Nine times out of ten replies are intended for list distribution.
For the other 1 out of ten messages, it only takes a second to look at
the "To" field before you press "send."