Hi.  I think that ATRAC (and I believe that Rick W. agrees with me.  I don't
want to put words in his mouth, so if you don't Rick, please correct me.) peak
at about version 4 (I believe Rick said 3.5 at one time).

You get to a point where you have taken something as far as you can in certain
areas.  When you get to the point where the average music listener using average
hi-fi equipment really can't tell which is the original CD and which is the MD
you have taken it as far as you can in that area.

Sure you can always find a way to increase compression ratios.  But everything
reaches a point where it is at is limit.

For example, at the present time we have no science that can exceed the speed of
light.  That does not mean that someone wouldn't come along some day find a way
to exceed light speed.  Thus proving Einstein wrong.

You only have to ge back a few decades and no one would have believed that sound
could be picked up and transmitted by light.  Lasers were considered devices
that had the potential to destroy in the beginning.

I remember when I was 16 having to have a root canal treatment and lasers being
the latest thing.  The dentist told me that they have to make a precise cut and
that a laser could not do it.

Today lasers are very common in the management of soft tissue and a laser has
been approved for "drilling" teeth.

You have to remember that the improvement of ATRAC is not a priority.
Especially with its current quality.

Well enough of my BS
Larry