"Mitch P." wrote:

> They also had this comment on their web site:
>
> "Mini-discs don't have frequency response or other "normal" hi-fi measurements
>because the ATRAC system does not permit "straight" measurement of the
>compressed/reduced data. Some audiophiles object to this and prefer to stick with
>high end cassette decks or expensive DAT machines for critical recordings. We won't
>argue this point, for if you put on headphones and compare a CD to an MD recorded
>from the CD, you will hear some minor degradation if you listen closely. The real
>point is that the mini disc will make better recordings than the vast majority of
>cassette decks in use today and is much more compact and convenient to use."
>
> It seem kind of negative to me.  I really don't hear the "minor degradation" they
>are talking about and I can't imagine ANY cassette deck making a better recording
>than minidisc - maybe they put this statement out during older versions of ATRAC.

There's no "kind of" about it, that DOES sound negative.
MiniDisc *does* have frequency response and other "normal" hi-fi
measurements, just look in the manual?!?!  I have been told by more than
one owner of a Nakamichi Dragon (world's most expensive tape deck?) that
the MDS-JE510 (the big seller at the time I was told this) easily
outperforms it!
And what's this "you will hear some minor degradation if you listen
closely"?  I think most people can't hear a difference, and I think the
vast majority of "audiophiles" that say they can, can also see the
emperor's new clothes.
Sounds like CC (or someone working for them) is obviously anti-MD.  I
guess that explains why the selection of MD equipment in their stores is
so miniscule (or non-existent in the case of the local CC).

--
Shawn Lin
http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gmwbodycars/