Here is the web page
http://www.circuitcity.com/frame1.jsp?upper=head.jsp&lower=frame2.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0614325284.0955044246@@@@&BV_EngineID=calhhcdimhjbemfcfkmcgcg.0&left=leftchildcat.jsp&right=productsearch.jsp&department=Portable+Electronics&category=MiniDiscs

hmm hope that comes through.  if not go to this page
http://www.circuitcity.com/init.jsp and select Minidisc in the dropdown
combo box that says "pick a product".  From there look under LEARN ABOUT
MiniDiscs BASICS.

THe information there is current as of 4/6/2000   Maybe we should send
them messages telling them they are wrong?  THere must be someplace to
send them info on the webpage..  Maybe we should reword the atricle and
suggets they use better wording?

"Shawn R. Lin" wrote:

> "Mitch P." wrote:
> >
> > They also had this comment on their web site:
> >
> > "Mini-discs don't have frequency response or other "normal" hi-fi measurements
>because the ATRAC system does not permit "straight" measurement of the
>compressed/reduced data. Some audiophiles object to this and prefer to stick with
>high end cassette decks or expensive DAT machines for critical recordings. We won't
>argue this point, for if you put on headphones and compare a CD to an MD recorded
>from the CD, you will hear some minor degradation if you listen closely. The real
>point is that the mini disc will make better recordings than the vast majority of
>cassette decks in use today and is much more compact and convenient to use."
> >
> > It seem kind of negative to me.  I really don't hear the "minor degradation" they
>are talking about and I can't imagine ANY cassette deck making a better recording
>than minidisc - maybe they put this statement out during older versions of ATRAC.
>
> There's no "kind of" about it, that DOES sound negative.
> MiniDisc *does* have frequency response and other "normal" hi-fi
> measurements, just look in the manual?!?!  I have been told by more than
> one owner of a Nakamichi Dragon (world's most expensive tape deck?) that
> the MDS-JE510 (the big seller at the time I was told this) easily
> outperforms it!
> And what's this "you will hear some minor degradation if you listen
> closely"?  I think most people can't hear a difference, and I think the
> vast majority of "audiophiles" that say they can, can also see the
> emperor's new clothes.
> Sounds like CC (or someone working for them) is obviously anti-MD.  I
> guess that explains why the selection of MD equipment in their stores is
> so miniscule (or non-existent in the case of the local CC).
>
> --
> Shawn Lin
> http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gmwbodycars/

Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways