Hi, new to the list.

I was waltzing through the Knoxville, TN Best Buys today when my eye
caught an apparently new player/recorder.  It looked like the Sony
MZ-R55 (I know it had "55" in the name).  What caught my eye was the
Best Buys blurb that said that it could transfer MP3 files via a USB
interface.  Since I'd come in the store to look at Diamond Rio
products, I suddenly snapped to attention and whipped out the
plastic.  Of course they didn't have the unit in stock.  Off to the
nearby Circuit City.  Same type blurb (salesman even tried to sell
me a USB cable and hub) and of course they didn't have it either,
though their computer said they had 55 of 'em in the "warehouse".
As a last ditch effort, I went to Service Merchandise where I did
buy a MZ-R55.  Took it right back when I learned it had only the
optical interface.

Looking around the net tonight, I can't seem to find anything about
this, including on Sony's site.

So..  Is Best Buys and Circuit city making this up?  Is there such a
device?  Of any brand?  I really don't want to buy a fancy sound
card to get the optical interface.  Just want to stick my favorite
music out on minidisk and do it digitally.

Thanks,
John
--
John De Armond