Luke brought up,

| anyway, what are peoples thoughts on REC-PAUSE mode from pushing RECORD? i
| personally dont like it. i prefer recording to begin straight away. if you
| want to be put into REC-PAUSE then it's almost just as easy to press PAUSE
| then RECORD. the only thing being placed automatically in REC-PAUSE does is
| *remove* the option of recording straight away, thus it's more likely that
| you'll miss the beginning of the recording(esp live/field recordings which
| is what portable recorders are for).

On units with time-machine recording there is no risk of missing the begin-
ning, but that feature appears only in decks.  Though it doesn't present a
problem for me, I agree with Luke that there's more flexibility if there are
both a way to start recording immediately and a way to go into rec-pause.

The two portable recorders I own both start recording immediately by default
but have a way to go into rec-pause as well; one is a Sony MZ-R3 with manual
end search and the other is an Aiwa AM-F70 with automatic end search.