When I wrote about using my lemon credit at Best Buy,

T> I could have used it all on [prerecorded audio] CDs if I wanted.

Jim Coon responded,

C> You could have bought a bunch of CDs, not opened them and brought them
C> back a day or so later and asked for a refund on the CDs.

I could have asked, but I would not have received, because my receipt for the
first batch of CDs would have shown that I had used a lemon credit to pay for
them.  I could, however, have exchanged them for other merchandise, provided
that my net purchase still equaled or exceeded the lemon credit: the trade on
the second visit could have resulted in a net refund so long as the refund
was equal to or less than the cash (or credit card charge) I'd paid beyond
the lemon credit on the first visit.