At 23:37 02/06/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>I don't think you can go wrong with it.  The newer ones are just
>smaller. but AFAIK, the recording capabilities are the same or close
>enough that you don't have to worry.

I bought a 722 last November, basically because I wanted a 702 but couldn't
get one at the time in the UK (Richer Sounds have since started doing
refurb'ed 701/2s).

The 702 is a much nicer looking machine than the 722 IMHO, which is the
only thing that really lets the 722 down. The 722 is an excellent machine -
it has a slot-in loading mechanism (same as the 702) which I think is far
superior to the clamshell designs which all the other portables use.

The ATRAC in the 722 is newer than the 702 and I think it is the same as
the 821/831 - check on http://www.minidisc.org for all the info on all the
portables.

You get 10 hours playback life with the supplied Li-Ion battery pack and if
you use the supplied AA battery holder, a single AA alkaline battery will
give you an extra 6 hours playback. Recording is about 6 hours on the
Li-Ion battery, so generally, battery life is pretty damn good.

You get an optical lead in the package too which is more than can be said
for some other manufacturers, and a funky carrystrap and carry bag.

Overall, the 722 is an excellent machine - I haven't had any problems with
mine. The only things which let it down are the way it looks (pretty
horrible IMHO) and it's chunkiness - but the fact that it's chunky makes it
more robust from my experience!

Anyway, if you've got any questions about it, I'll be happy to answer them,
as I believe the 722 is probably the best machine to buy overall!

Cheers,

Wrighty

>"James S. Lee" wrote:
> >  But what about its recording quality compared to some even
> > newer models? Any real differences?
> >

>--
>Jim Coon
>Not just another pretty mandolin picker.
>mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>If Gibson made cars, would they sound so sweet?
>
>My first web page
>
>http://www.tir.com/~liteways

  ___ _________________________________________________________ ___
|   |                                                         |   |
| o |=========================================================| o |
|   |         Richard Wright - [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |   |
| o |---------------------------------------------------------| o |
|   |          __ __ __      __      __    __                 |   |
| o |         |  |  |  |____|__|____|  |__|  |_ __ _          | o |
|   |         |  |  |  |   _|  |  _ |     |  __|  | |         |   |
| o |   Find me on ICQ - UIN: 4050545  (http://www.icq.com)   | o |
| o |   Send an SMS text message (less than 140 characters)   | o |
|   |      to my mobile at [EMAIL PROTECTED]      |   |