On Sat, 03 Jun 2000 13:34:58 EDT Not Given <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    This may seem like a ridiculous question, but do the portable units have
> a recording level control? (I have seen analog recorders that use a built in
> limiter rather than provide recording level controls.)

Hi.. there's just been a 'message-thread' about this (ish).. I wish it was
a stupid question, if only there was some standard among the manufacturers
(blah blah moan moan.,.)

anyway, ..I think the upshot of the discussion was this:

Sony machines have both an Automatic Gain control and Manual recording
levels (which I would expect to work well, seeing as it's sony..). The
slight downside is that the machine has to be paused in order to adjust the
levels..I guess this is just a personal taste issue really..

Sharp machines only have manual recording levels, no AGC. Whether you can
adjust 'on the fly' I'm not sure..

Aiwa machines have Manual levels and AGC, and you can adjust the levels
during recording. I'm not sure I'd expect the quality of the AGC to be as
good as Sonys, but that's just heresay (heresy?!) on my part..

Personally I prefer Aiwa's way of doing things, but I'm convinced about the
build quality of their units..

I'm done.
Sean

end