Here's a webpage that runs down the specs of many of the recorders we've been
discussing here:

http://members.xoom.com/md_data/Recorder_table1.htm

Toward the bottom of the first of the three groups of specs is a column called
"Manual Rec Level", which is what we're talking about at the moment.  Most of
the machines are listed as "yes", meaning that the record level can be changed
_while the recording is in progress_.  The Sony machines are specifically
noted as only allowing level change while the recording is paused.

I've talked with a gentleman named Brian Youn who has a goodly collection of
recorders, and he has confirmed that the record level can, in fact, be changed
on the fly in the Sharp line.  He has a review of the newest Sony and Sharp
machines (and a brief negative remark about Aiwa recorders) at

http://www.ece.utexas.edu/%7Eyoun/r90831.html

Dave.

David Witzany
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             ....one of Nature's bounds checkers