Hi Leo,

>My problem is that my Sony CD megachanger has a pretty bad DAC and sounds
>a lot better when connected to my Amp via an optical cable. If I get an MD
>deck I want to connect the CD changer to it in the same way to get
>digital-quality MD copies, but the changer only has one optical/digital
>output.
>
>I guess I need to get an MD deck that has optical input and output and is
>able to act as a passthrough so the CD's optical output can reach the amp
>via the MD deck.

Not necessarily - you could get one of the little digital convertor boxes.
Providing it keeps both of it's outputs on you could, for example, have the
optical coming in from your CD player, send an electrical signal to your MD
deck and an optical signal to your amp.

The Midiman CO2 from Core Sound looks ideal:

http://www.core-sound.com/co2.html

$70 including shipping. From the look of it, you could hide it away pretty
easily.

>Does anyone know which MD decks, if any, support this? I have seen one or
>two which have optical output as well as input, but the typically sparse
>webpages don't say whether the output is only for the MD deck itself or
>whather it will relay the optical input to the output when the MD isn't in
>use.

I'll have a look at my brother's Pioneer deck (afaik, it's got optical in
and out) and let you know. I suspect it'll act in the same way as a tape
deck, ie. only relaying when the deck is recording or on record pause.

--
Simon