On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Simon Gardner wrote:

        Hi,

> >My problem is that my Sony CD megachanger has a pretty bad DAC and sounds
> >a lot better when connected to my Amp via an optical cable. If I get an MD
> >deck I want to connect the CD changer to it in the same way to get
> >digital-quality MD copies, but the changer only has one optical/digital
> >output.
> >
> >I guess I need to get an MD deck that has optical input and output and is
> >able to act as a passthrough so the CD's optical output can reach the amp
> >via the MD deck.
>
> >Does anyone know which MD decks, if any, support this? I have seen one or
> >two which have optical output as well as input, but the typically sparse
> >webpages don't say whether the output is only for the MD deck itself or
> >whather it will relay the optical input to the output when the MD isn't in
> >use.
>
> I'll have a look at my brother's Pioneer deck (afaik, it's got optical in
> and out) and let you know. I suspect it'll act in the same way as a tape
> deck, ie. only relaying when the deck is recording or on record pause.

        I have a JA20ES w/ 2 outputs (TOSLink/Coax) and 3 inputs
(2TOSLink/Coax) and I use it as a "digital patching matrix", and yes, you
have to press the record button (try it w/o a MD :) so that it acts as a
-AD DA- or AD-DA converter. I also have a Megachanger connected to the MD,
so that I could switch (the amp remote can't) easily between CD or MD with
the MD remote.

        I noticed that almost all new sony models (when I bought the
JA20ES it was the only deck with that I/O variety) have TOSLink/Coax
output and 2TOSLink/Coax inputs now.

That lets me use my deck also as a digitizer when recording old vinyl
records, selecting the analog input from the amp tape out, and then
feeding digitally my soundcard to the PC harddisk (the link, a coax cable
is about 20 meters) and viceversa, to listen to the PC via my hifi; it's a
matter of switching between inputs with the I/O selector (what a shame it
isn't controlable w/ the remote).

        hope it helps,

Francisco J. Montilla                       System & Network admin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org