On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, J. van de Griek wrote:

        Hi,

> > I have a JA20ES w/ 2 outputs (TOSLink/Coax) and 3 inputs
> > (2TOSLink/Coax) and I use it as a "digital patching matrix", and yes, you
> > have to press the record button (try it w/o a MD :) so that it acts as a
> > -AD DA- or AD-DA converter. I also have a Megachanger connected to the MD,
> > so that I could switch (the amp remote can't) easily between CD or MD with
> > the MD remote.
>
> The fact that you have to set the MD deck to Record for it to pass through
> the signal makes me suspect that the signal goes through an ATRAC
> encoding/decoding cycle. In other words, it's passing through the signal
> that would come from the MD, not the original PCM signal from the CD (record
> monitoring, not signal pass-through). Probably an improvement over bad DACs,
> but not quite the best possible signal.

        I couldn't believe that. Being SONY, I must admit I considered
that at first, but don't think so. I don't think the JA20ES has bad DACs,
being a hi-medium end deck, what the h***...

        The fact of having to push the record button (then AD- -DA or
AD-DA appears on the display) isn't specific from MDs I believe, DATs and
other digital recording equipment works the same...

        Another issue is, do you think an MD ATRAC chip is capable of
coding/decoding simultaneously? I don't think so.

        what do you guys think?

        greets,

Francisco J. Montilla                       System & Network admin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org