Francisco J. Montilla wrote:

[snipperdesnap]

> I have a JA20ES w/ 2 outputs (TOSLink/Coax) and 3 inputs
> (2TOSLink/Coax) and I use it as a "digital patching matrix", and yes, you
> have to press the record button (try it w/o a MD :) so that it acts as a
> -AD DA- or AD-DA converter. I also have a Megachanger connected to the MD,
> so that I could switch (the amp remote can't) easily between CD or MD with
> the MD remote.

The fact that you have to set the MD deck to Record for it to pass through
the signal makes me suspect that the signal goes through an ATRAC
encoding/decoding cycle. In other words, it's passing through the signal
that would come from the MD, not the original PCM signal from the CD (record
monitoring, not signal pass-through). Probably an improvement over bad DACs,
but not quite the best possible signal.

,xtG
.tsooJ