las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>B but possibly also A<G>. Unless you are an executive at one of
>the companies that manufactures both headphones and earbuds,
>there is know way to know with perfect certainty that it cost
>more to make earbuds.
[snip]
>So there really is no way to say what you are saying with
>perfect certainty. Not that I can see from the statements and
>scenarios I presented above.

I think you can, and I've read comments by audiophile-grade headphone
designers saying the same thing. Because the transducers in earbud
headphones are so small, it's very difficult for them to produce anything
resembling the full range of audible sound, especially with a relatively
flat response curve. In order to do so requires a heck of a lot more R&D
and higher-quality materials.

The best earbuds in the world cost $300. Given comparable amplifiers,
those $300 earbuds are easily bested by $100-$200 "standard" headphones,
especially at the lower frequencies. At the average consumer level, A
good pair of $20 "standard" headphones are head and shoulders above a
good pair of $20 earbuds.

Just from a physics standpoint, I think it's an entirely reasonable
statement to say that earbuds are more expensive for the same sound
quality.

That said, I think you're correct that Americans, in general, don't
prefer earbuds for reasons independent of sound quality.