From: "Sean Buckingham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > But Maplin Electronics is a UK based electronics store, generally
> > > very competitive and a rival to Tandy (Radio Shack) here--
>
> I think Maplins is more in competition with RS components than Tandy.. Both
> RS (no idea what it stands for!) and Maplins have HUGE mail order
> catalogues, and offer a wider range of stock than Tandy. I haven't used
> Maplins, so I can't comment on them, but RS have good customer service/care
> and prompt delivery, but you do tend to pay a bit more for their components.
>
> The catalogues apparently cost  27 to produce, as the rep informed me when
> he noticed the four month old 3-phone-directory-sized box sitting unopened
> next to my desk.....!   maybe i'll have to use maplins from now on.....
>
> sean

Maplin charge about four pound for a maybe thousand page catalog, but they
are pushing the CD-ROM version in pdf format heavily which retails for ukp1.99

I agree Maplin have a much wider range but I've never seen a RS shop on the
high-street, Maplin are spreading steadily, in Newcastle City Centre we just
got a Maplins and boy is it handy.  Tandy buys from me have plummeted as a
result-- previously it meant a trip to Gateshead Metrocentre (not that any
of this paragraph will mean much to 90%+ of readers so I'll apologise and
stop).

PrinceGaz.