> >JUST ARRIVED: Say goodbye to the clamshell! Minidisco now has Sony
> >Japan's new MZ-E800 portable player, with a revolutionary pop-in disc
>
> Uh, revolutionary? Funny, I was sure it had been around for over three
> years in the Sharp 700 series... <grin>

If you look at the pictures of how this works, it really looks like a
clamshell/slot-in hybrid.  It looks like they picked up much of the
unit strength of the slot in design without adding much height to the
unit.  It appears that once the disk is inserted it pivots a bit to move
into place, unlike the sharp designs where the disk must raise and
lower parallel to the mechanism which adds to the height of the
units. (not that I don't love my 722)  I hate marketspeak as much
as anyone but I does look like Sony has a new twist here.

Perhaps minidisco would like to loan me one and I'll check out
the new mechanism and post a review.

regards,

dsowa

ps here is the link to the pictures