From: "J. Coon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> So, how well does it work?  Does if fade in and out as you drive? Do you
> have to keep fiddling with it?
>
> Aside from that, I think you have the theory of operation wrong.  An FM
> radio responds to a frequency modulated radio frequency carrier. I don't
> know what an air born coaxial signal would be.  I studied coaxial
> transmission lines, open wire transmission lines, wave guides, etc. in
> school many many moons ago. I don't remember a coaxial signal. what do
> you mean by 6 discrete channels?  RF out or Coax?  Coax would require
> you to plug the cable into the receiver, while the antenna would pick up
> an RF output.

Isn't Dolby ProLogic surround sound derived from a normal stereo signal?
Therefore provided the xmtr sends a FM stereo signal the channels can be
reconstructed I would have thought.

> One of the problems with a small FM transmitter, is in a city with
> strong FM signals, near by, the FM capture effect will cause the
> receiver to lock on to the stronger station.
> This will happen  even if the small transmitter is rock solid and uses a
> phase locked loop and crystal oscillator as a reference.

A decent receiver these days doesn't need to grab a nearby signal, unless
you're listening to a pirate outfit with two-bit equipment, the transmitter
will be almost rock-solid frequency, the receiver is crystal controlled too
and also highly stable.  There is still some capture-effect in modern PLL
receivers (thats an inherent part of a phase-locked-loop) but...

Nearby I have Metro Radio on 97.1, and Tees FM on 96.6, but by tuning to
96.85 I can pick up the much more distant and weaker Border FM which I
think is on 96.8, and it is quite listenable most of the time (the distance
means it fades in and out).  It certainly doesn't try to jump onto those
stations just 0.25MHz either side.

Thats with a tuner that does *not* have wide/narrow selectivity on FM,
though it is a pretty good model nontheless (Denon TU-560L).  I bet the
Denon 660 if I'd bought it could on the "Narrow" setting grab that weak
signal between TFM (mediocre strength) and Metro FM (massive signal)
rather better.

So presumably a little transmitter maybe at most three meters from your
car aerial should have no problems.  Yes I know a car acts to some extent
as a Faraday cage but not that much, besides the radio itself might pick
up the signal more than the aerial outside the car.  Is the VHF FM band
really so cluttered in the states there are no free frequencies in big
cities?

Yours,
PrinceGaz.