My own personal 701 experience...

The original internal battery recently began to fail.

However I had 12x 4V lithium cells laying around doing nothing (from an old
laptop battery where the circuitry died not the batteries)

Now the internal battery is 3.6V where as these were 4V...  Hmm, voltage a
bit off, but I decided to give it a try.  I made up a "Dummy" battery where
the terminals lead off to the outside.  Only mod I had to make was to the
battery cover to enable the wire to get out.

I hooked up the battery... and no smoke (boy was I relieved!)

Power on and everything works OK!

After a quick test I made the connection semi permanent and left it playing.

10 Hours later its still going and on the last battery bar.

Interestings thing to note -

With the fully charged Lithium connected it thought it was connected to the
power adapter!

When the Lithium was then recharged by the MD it was charged back up to the
Preset point suitable for the 3.6V original.  After that (not REALLY fully
charged Lithium) I've been getting about 6-8 hours playtime.

At some point I'll make up a charger to FULLY charge the lithium and then
run from that.

--

James Budworth
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Ranmascan Project (Australian Mirror)
http://www.techserv.curtin.edu.au/ranmascan/