> I'm not sure if you are stating that the external power adapter that
comes
> with the Sharps have special circuitry in them.  But as far as I can
tell they
> are cheap bricks made in China.

Correct. I was referring to the power/voltage detection chip in the
recorder.

> I think that it has more to do with the voltage then the power supply.

Yes, the smarts measure the input voltage and react accordingly (ie
display battery/charge or whatever)

> Perhaps on the newer units the circuitry is more forgiving.  But not on
the
> old Sharp 200

No, the 701 is the same - hence some folks with a 4.5v power pack may find
it works OK or may find it won't charge the battery. It all depends on the
exact voltage the player reads - AFAIK, it needs very close to 5v before
it will switch into charge mode. Some 4.5v packs may be actually putting
out close to 5v and will work, others (especially if they have a lower
current capacity) may not.
GB