las wrote:

> I make all of my MDs using digital connections.  But when I first got my MZ-1 I had
> to wait for the optical cable to come in.  So I made some discs in analog.  I find
> it impossible to tell which are which using headphones.  This is not to say that I
> don't recommend people use digital connections.  But sometimes I wonder if most
> people can hear the difference.
>
> I think that it comes down to the equipment that you are using.  On a set of $40
> headphones, I don't think you could tell.  But maybe on a very high end system with
> top of the line Polk speakers for example you can.

Exactly my original point. I am not an audiophile but I do recognize a good and useful
media when I see it..... I would not hear the difference on $40 headphones, and
probably
not on $150 headphones either (unless it was pointed out to me)... What I care about,
and what makes MD so attractive to me is its convience. Sony et al must know that
people
tape CDs for each other all the time. And they can't  be so stupid as to think that
they
wiil kill off services/programs like Napster.... Stuff like that will always be going
on
on the Net... why don't they make it easy and available for the most people to do it in
the best format? They would make more money than Microsoft (and probably get sued by
the
governement too)!

Charlie