> Obviously music is going to be downloaded... whatever format can
> downlaod is going to
> win. Their insistence on not making MDs easily compatible with MP3s is
> the begining
> of the death knoll for the MD. Money is being poured into MP3 and its
> players here in
> the states so that is what people know and will buy.

I agree with you on this. If MD is not made (easily) MP3 compatible it
probably will die, or at least never become a mainstream long term
product.
I think one of the problems with this is that Sony are very much anti-MP3
as such - they have a bit of a dilemma here, having large record
publishing/copyright interests and having at the same time a small, cheap
portable recording device that could easily become an MP3 player as well.
Making an MD player compatible with the Sony proprietary (copyright
protected) MP3 alternative is not really going to save it, they have to
get on the MP3 wave and I think that is very difficult for them to do,
from a corporate POV...

Another possible problem may be a technical one - the main reason (besides
poor marketing) that dataMD failed was the slow write speed of MD. Whilst
MD write speeds have improved over the years, I wonder if they are fast
enough to provide market-acceptable MP3 data transfer speeds, compared to
flash memory devices?
(I would think so, especially as a disc based system has huge cost
benefits (at the moment) over flash memory)

GB