> So how can you expect someone to understand the Mini Disc??  Just give them a Rio
>with a
> fixed memory.  They don't want to have to worry about inserting the right card.  So
>it
> sounds like sh!t.  (It still sounds a hell of a lot better then those tiny tinny
>transistor
> radios we used to carry around with the 2' speaker).  So what.  It's music.  Its
>cheap and
> it's simple.
>
> Larry

We can easily expect someone to understand the MD if it had been marketed to them
correctly
(which is a sad statement in and of itself)... It's a Cassette recorder with better
sound and
more funtionality. There's not much more to understand here than your basic walkman.
OK. I
concede the point that people would be a lot more receptive to MD if it had a good
sized catalog
of pre-recorded music, but Cassettes are not really made all that much anymore. And,
where I
live (Seattle, an admittedly tech centric city) finding anyone besides Tower Records
who sells
pre-recorded Cassesttes is not an easy task... But people still buy casette walkmen
and cassette
decks and blank cassettes. Why is what I want to know? Rio's don't need another card,
but you
can't build up a collection of music you get your half hour or your hour downloaded...
and then
you want the new Brittney Spears Import and you have to download over your Ricky Martin
retrospective.... If Sony et al would tell them, people would realize that with MD
they could
live La Vida Loca and Do It Again over and over...

(Sorry, lame jokes but I'm tired and have to be at work at 530am... I shouldn't even
be up right
now).

MDs COULD BE the new cassette.... They are not a technical thing at all, unless you
use them
that way... Someone down at Sony HQ has something bigger planned because they can't
possibly
think that RIOs and sticks are going to make it as useless as they are.

okok, I'm rambling. sleeeeeep.
charlie