* las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Fri, 11 Aug 2000
| No.  I'm saying that the 701/2 was bad.  The rest of the Sharps seem to
| be fine.

Bad compared to what?

I own a 702 and a 722, no problems.  Friends of mine own 701s, 702s and
722s, no problems.  I have yet to actually see a 701, 702 or 722 fail.

On the other hand, both of the Sony MD recorders I've owned, MZ-R30 and
MZ-R90, have failed on me in some fashion.

| The Sony R30 was introduced in October 1996.  The Sharp MS 200 in January
| of 97.  So they are actually in the same generation.

That doesn't change the fact that MZ-R30 and MS-701 are the comparable
units.  Sharp's ATRAC 4 in the MS-200 is effectively a generation behind
the MZ-R30; Sharp's ATRAC 5 brought it up to date with Sony's ATRAC 4 in
the R30.

[...]
| Wrong again.  This just isn't your day. The Sharp MS 200 is a slot in
| design.  I own the Denon clone so I'm not just quoting from Community
| page facts about that.

Hmmm... I'm probably crossing the MS-200's guts with one of the MT model's
looks.  Big deal.

| The biggest problem that I have found with the NiMH is that it does not
| hold a charge for very long.  Leave some NiMH batteries in your what ever
| for a week and you are lucky if there is much power left.

| Ni Cads are ancient technology but do offer one advantage.  They can sit
| around for years and very often will still be capable of being recharged.

Now it is you are wrong.  The charge "bleed" on NiMH is about half that of
NiCD.  If you are experiencing otherwise, then either you have a defective
or damaged cell, or a defective or damaged device.

| The make NiMH batteries in standard sizes.  But I have not seen Li Ion AA
| or AAA batteries.  If anyone know where to buy them, let me know.

One, LiIon requires an on-board charge regulator to prevent overcharging.
Two, LiIon is *very* volatile, and requires a substantially more durable
case than the steel shell NiMH or NiCD require.  That's why the S31BT is
rated at 800mAh where a NiMH cell of similar volume would be in the 1000-
1200mAh range.

| Also interesting is that you can't judge a battery just by the mAh.

That's because the amp-hour rating is based on a given discharge rate,
which may be different from the power requirements of the device you are
using.  And the ratio is non-linear.

| Alkalizes have much more then the NiMH, yet Kodak recommends that you use
| NiMH batteries to get the most pictures from their camera (e.g. you are
| shooting dozens of pictures at about he same time).

And that is because alkalines are good for steady discharge, such as with
portable MD players, whereas NiMH and NiCD are better for "burst"
discharge, such as with camera flashes.

| So guess that the type of equipment and drainage properties are sometimes
| more important then mAh.

| Here is the info on the Sharp problem:

| "Problems:There have been reports on MD-L of Sharp MD-MS701/702 units
| malfunctioning, displaying intermittent "UTOC Error" messages with
| damaged/irrecoverable recordings as a result.

And I repeat: I have yet to see it for myself.  I have experienced a 100%
failure rate for Sony equipment and a 0% failure rate for Sharp.  Yes, the
701 is buggy.  The 702mk was released *specifically* to address those bugs
-- which the rest of the MD Community writeup states -- and has a 1-2%
failure rate according to Minidisco, which is in line with everyone else's
recorders.

And Fry's got a huge batch of refurbished 702 units, so that's why there
are problems with those.  It is not that the 702 is inherently flakey.

So enough with the FUD.  The 702 is not the piece of shit you are making it
out to be.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \