* las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Sun, 20 Aug 2000
| I have always felt that the quality of an MD copied from a CD (digitally) is
| almost indistinguishable on equipment manufactured within the last year or 2.

Extend that back about to about 4 years, with the introduction of Sony
ATRAC 4.  Generally speaking, it is, modulo the quality of the playback
equipment.

| Now I am finding multiple comments from long time list members stating
| that there is on obvious difference in the quality between the original
| CD and the MD copy.

Who the hell cares?  MiniDisc is not about top-level audio quality (neither
is CD-DA, for that matter), it is about portability.  Any differences you
might hear out of your PSB Alphas is going to be irreproducible on the best
headphones that a portable unit can drive.  And even if they were, you are
going to be outside, in your car, in the gym, whatever, where external
noise is going to be worse than any "obviously" perceptible quality loss in
the encoding algorithm.

MiniDisc is superior to compact cassette in every way imagineable.  If you
agree then to hell with the "long-time list members" spurrious statements
about MD's audio quality.  If you do not, then stay the hell away from MD.
Simple as that, really.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ unknown glowing substance which fell to