I replied earlier. Here is a little more info.  I have the Sony
fold up noise cancelling headphones.  Cost about $100.  They do
not completely cancel all noise, but on a plane, they remove the
constant low to midrange rumble that makes it hard to listen to
music on normal headphones.  Without the rumble, you hear other
sounds more than you would normally on a plane. For example,
the guy across the aisle from me was reading a newspaper and I
could hear the rustling of the paper.

Before I got them, listening to my
MD player on a plane was hardly worth the bother.  With these
headphones, it is quite pleasurable, at least for me (some people
don't like to listen to music unless conditions are perfect).
I don't know if it is the music or just the elimination of the
rumble, but I find that I am less fatigued after a long flight
since I got these headphones.  If you don't have any music playing,
but have the noise cancelling turned on, the rumble will still be
removed but you will hear a low level white noise. I've heard that
some people use them this way to reduce fatigue from flying.

As far as sound quality, I'm no expert, but I'd say the sound quality
is about the same as the headphones that came with my Sharp 702.
I'm sure it's less than high quality headphones, but I doubt that
the difference is that important on a plane -- even with the noise
cancelling, there is enough extraneous noise.

They are a bit less efficient than the headphones that came with the
702.  When using them as regular headphones (i.e. not on a plane),
I have to set the volume 2 or 3 notches higher, so the MD's battery
charge won't last quite as long.  However, on a plane, the noise
cancelling (which, BTW, is powered by an AAA cell in the phones)
permits a lower volume setting than would be needed for the stock
phones, so a charge lasts longer.  With the noise cancelling phones,
my 702 will last for a cross country flight.

Hope this helps.

Karl