"Gordon, Richard" wrote:

> That's what I mean. Some spin off of rap put under the umberella of R&B for
> some reason.
> I'm not knocking all rap at all, but this stuff we're getting over at the
> moment is crap, commercial revisited 80's UK pop - with rapping over the
> top.

Calling cRAP R and B is an insult to R and B.  I didn't take note from you e
mail address that you are from the UK.  For me probably the best period of
music in the US was the so called "British Invasion"

They took our (American) music and threw it back at us with a new twist (and
shout-bad joke).  I love it!!!

I think that there may be a possibility that Americans use a different name to
describe certain types of the same music.

I know that I am now getting way off topic (but I'll try and tie it  to md at
the end).  We often speak of the accomplishments of various nationalities,
ethnic groups etc.  The highly successful Black people in many American peoples
minds are stereotyped as athletes.

But America owes it's entire modern music to the Black race!!!   Jazz, blues,
rock, even much of what we call popular or show tune music would exist if it
were not for the contributions and creations of African Americans.

The only reason that I brought this up is because R and B is, in the US, most
commonly associated with Black people.  Well they invented it.

Much of the early Rolling Stones songs were covers of Black R and B artists.

Not to sound like I am stereotyping Black people myself, aside from the well
know accomplishments of African Americans outside of music and sports, the
expression (I think that this expression is used in the UK a well as the US),
"The real McCoy" is do to the invention of a Black engineer.

It seems that prior to his invention, steam engines trains) had to constantly
make pit stops to lubricate certain items by hand.  Going back to the time that
Mr. McCoy get a degree in engineering, there wasn't anyone who would hire a
black person as an engineer.

So McCoy was forced to take a job way below his educational level working on
steam engines and oiling what ever.  Well being an engineer, he looked at the
problem and came up with a solution of an self oiler.

Soon every steam engine had one.   I guess eventually there were knockoffs that
weren't as good, so people would ask, "Is that the real McCoy?"

Other then the fact that most of the popular music we copy on to MD owes its
roots to African Americans, I have no way to tie this one in.

Larry