Alan Dowds wrote:

> Hello
>
> Whether you agree with Albert or not, I don't think it's acceptable to
> attack his choice of educational establishment.

No one was attacking his "educational establishment".   It's an excellent
university.   Just making the point that it had one of the highest tuition
rates of any college in the country.  It was in direct response to his
statement that, "we did just fine without the coupons".

That statement clearly says to me that the individual who wrote it was not
under any kind of financial distress.

> I don't think anyone was attacking the concept of saving money. Rather the
> problem was having to read several e-mails a day about it.

I don't know that your above statement is 100% accurate.  He stated that we
didn't need to know about the coupons.  To me that sounds like someone who
doesn't need them.

Well I'm about to get back on the topic on MD now.  You just made me think
about something.  One of the problem's with MD is that it's high cost over all
has kept it from becoming accepted in the US.

Take the DVD, for example.  The players already selling as low as $99.00!!
DVD's themselves started out in the $25 range at a time when a VHS movie might
cost $20.  So even their initial pricing was not way off of the scale.

Today the average price of a DVD is about $19.00 and I have seen many under
$10.00.

After about 8 years you can finally find a very basic portable MD recorder for
about $200 and blanks have finally dropped to the $2.00 range.  That's from an
initial starting point of about $600 plus for the recorder and $16 for one
blank.

The pricing of MDs has finally started to get to the point where many more
people can afford them, but it may have come too late.

Larry