sherryl wrote:
>  Has anyone found that the "shelf life" of Li Ion batteries
> stinks?  Maybe they can be lighter and go longer between a charge,
> but in a year or two they often seem to hold only a very short charge.

I have some for my Sony R30 that are about three years old and they
still work ok.  I have some for my Texas Instrument Laptop that are 4
years old and they died.

> I know one thing, most
> rechargeable batteries don't hold the charge very long if they are sitting
> around.
Nicads and NiMH will self discharge over a few weeks.  LiIon take a lot
longer to self discharge.

> And why can't they make a 1.5 volt NiMH or Ni Cad instead of only
> 1.2?

I think it has to do with the chemistry and physics of batteries.  Lead
acid storage batteries (lead Antimony), like the ones that are used in
cars have a voltage of around 2.2 volts. The waterless ones are
lead-calcium, and they have a slightly different terminal voltage and a
lesser tolerence of charging voltage. LiIon have a terminal voltage of
around 3 volts if I remember correctly.

  Surprisingly, although their shelf life is great, Alkalines
> stink in digital cameras.

Their discharge charicteristic is different because of higher internal
resistance.  I suspect that is the problem.  I used them as a back up
because I can buy a pack in the local gas station or 7/11.  I usually
carry an extra set of rechargable NiMh in my camera bag, but I've had to
resort to buying alkalines in a pinch.

<>Do other people find engine noise problems if they connect their
> portable to the cigarette lighter adapter?

There are noise eliminators that you can install on the wire that goes
to the cigarette lighter socket and maybe on the alternator.  resistor
type sparkplugs and wiring help too.  Clean your battery terminals.  The
car battery acts as a filter for the electrical system.  A bad battery
or bad connections can cause noise, as can a bad alternator, the
ingition system and even the engine controller.  It's been a while since
I had to look into this problem though.  The last car I had problems
with didn't even have a computerized engine controller, so you can see
it was a long time ago.

&nbsp; I have found this on every

Get one of those ferrite doughnut chokes that are used on the cables
leaving some computers, and run the wire through it a couple of times.

YOu gotta get rid of that html crap in your posts though...sure is hard
to read.

--
Jim Coon
Not just another pretty mandolin picker.

My first web page

http://www.tir.com/~liteways