When I bought my Sony MZ-1 in 1992 or something like that, it was by today's standards,
big and heavy.  It had no remote, but it did have a numeric keypad and a DIGITAL
OPTICAL
OUTPUT!!!

Why did all of the manufactures universally discontinue including a digital optical
output on their portables?  Now if you say, "to save money", that is a reasonable (to
he
manufacture, not he customer who has been paying outrageous prices for portable
recorders
for years) answer.

But if you say to avoid making copies, we all know that isn't true because all of the
MD
decks have digital outputs.

Because of SCMS, the digital output had a limited use until now.  But now more and more
receivers are including digital inputs.  My theory is that the longer you can kept the
"chain" digital, the better the fidelity.

CD players have been available (on higher end portables only-I haven't seen any at
Wal-Mart) with digital out.

Larry