THis is from another list but I thought people might be intersted in it.

David's Top Ten List   "Why computer based burners are the only way to
go"

For starters it allows for more flexibility and options than just
plugging a
tape or record unit in the back of it....also there are no codes to
worry
about during duplicating....which I had a hell of a time dealing with
this
weekend because my copy came from a standalone unit.

1. Disc are cheaper
2. computer units are cheaper and more effective than standalone units.
3. you can use EAC (a free software) to make exact digital copies of a
master recording (this     is an extraction process) and it ensures you
get
the same product that was given to you.      Standalones do not have
software that check and recheck the extraction of a disk to the
small
hard drive that is inside those things and sometimes digipops occur from
such units...
    computer (without EAC) and standalones...like those less than
$600...so
a $200
    computer based burner with free software ensures against
digipops...why
pay $600 for
    something that can be had for $200.
4. you can download SHN files all over the place....any file for that
matter
(think
    Backup)...check www.etree.org
5. uncompress these SHN's into wav files and burn a CD....try
downloading
a standalone
    unit (is it even possible)...you thought MP3 were the equivalent to
the
Music
    Gods....SHN's are the God's of Music Gods
6. Say you want to edit a wave file.....yap you can do that to....like
removing hiss and
    cracks from OLD records and tapes you might want to catalog or
archive...(free software
    again...included in the EAC program and I think Goldwave also).
7. With a descent sized hard drive you can store these shows and burn a
number of copies
    seamlessly.
8. Did I mention that you can plug any stereo unit into your computer
(just
get an adapter)
    this includes mixing boards, full size stereos, VHS machines, Reel
Reel, mini disc,
    DAT....you name it...just buy the adapter and record to your
harddrive.
and did I mention
    that you can edit and master that material.
9. When involved in a tree...you will not be put at the end of it or in
separate branch
    (because you have a standalone).
10.  Anyone who is dumb about computers can use a computer based unit
....look at me....I
    am as stupid as it gets when computers are the topic of
discussion...I
have a hard time
    reading "Computers of Idiot" books...

There are more reasons....but a computer based burner fits every
application
a standalone does and much much much more....