Derek asked,

|   i have a sony mz-r50 with which i've recorded some great shows, and now i
| want to burn discs of them to trade and give away.  i'm trying to find out
| which cd-burn route to go, either

| a)home stereo burner  to which i guess i'd have to use analog out, or
| b)sound card/ computer cd burner (which i think i'd rather do if i can
| figure it out)

Even with (b), you'd need to make an analog transfer from your R50 to the
soundcard, because the R50 has no digital output.  You could rip one track at
a time, or you could rip them all and divide them with a sound editor; the
burning transfer would, of course, be digital, but you'd still have had that
analog step to get the data from MD to soundcard.

| can anyone suggest which would be better?   i hate the thought of having
| to hit the track mark button on the home stereo burner like my friend
| has to do.

Well, I've had much better results with my standalone CD recorder than with
my computer, but I've used each only a few times, and in part I suspect the
data CDRs I have been using in the computer's CD burner and the burning soft-
ware that came with the drive rather than anything inherent in the process
itself.

Also, I've never made an analog transfer to the burner nor to the recorder,
so I've never thought about manual track marking.  I don't even know off-
hand if my recorder would mark a track after several seconds of silence
during an analog transfer.

My perspective is that the best results come from a digital transfer from
MD to standalone CD recorder, and that also takes care of track marks, but
then you'd run into SCMS troubles.  There are ways around SCMS, but it's a
whole new question.