Outputs from amps are *typically* of six types.

1.  Speaker outs (from power or integrated amps - not pre amps)
2.  Monitor outs (non volume attenuated - as in tape loops)
3.  Line outs (volume attenuated - to hook your power amps to)
4.  LFE (Low Frequency out - volume attenuated - some with selectable
    bass roll off).
5.  Headphone out.
6.  Chain Line outs (from power amp to power amp for bi-amping .. volume
    attenuated from the original source).

I would not recommend using a Monitor out for a subwoofer, you will not
have volume control.  It is possible to use a line out to an active
subwoofer
but you must realise it will be the full frequency range.  Your sub should
have
it's own low pass filter in this case.

Whether to use the amps LFE bass roll off or not, is dependant on your
subwoofer
setup and quality of it's own bass roll off filter.  Most $1000+(USD) subs
have
very good variable bass roll off filter.

Mono or stereo subs?  .. Depends on your budget and room in your house.
I've
heard some great results in large rooms (I mean 8mx5m+) with two stereo subs

(chained from the power amps - not via the LFE which is "usually" mono only)
but my own preferred configuration is a single high end sub for music (a
Miller
and Kreisel MX-200) and an additional lower end sub M&K V-75 that gets
turned on
for movies *only* (to get that real feel of explosions).

My final word on Subs is .... use them sparingly.  Whilst subterranean bass
is
fun in a night club, and movies (and for waking the neighbours <grin>) it's
not
high quality when serious music listening is taking place.  You should think
the
bass is coming from the main speakers, if you can "hear" the sub ... it's
too loud.
Unless you have very bass-weak front speakers, try not to use a low end sub
for
stereo music, it's better suited for movies.  The higher end subs can be
integrated
into a music system ... but only if the bass is very tight and below
40-50Hz.

Oh .. and experiment with sub placement .. keep away from corners, and away
from TV's (and computer monitors!) if the sub is not magnetically shielded
(there
is some BIG magnets in there).

Cheers   GC