OK, here's a dumb question.  A DVD has digital information on it like a CD,
no??  If it does, why can't they tap directly into the digital video
output?  HDTV is a digital TV.  Are there special digital inputs so that if
you had a digital source you would not have to use the analog component
video??

Taking all of this into account, film still kills video.  And film is
analog.  I can pick out any TV show that is shot in video vs film.  There
is a new TV show that is shot in HD video.  At times it looks almost as
good as film.  But then the video looks sometimes creeps in.

It's not going to happen because film is so expensive and complex compared
to video.  But if they really wanted to, they could improve the quality of
film even more than it is to the point where the optics and not the storage
media would be the limiting factor.

I know I'm off the MD topic, but what really amazes and confuses me is that
if something is shot on video tape you can tell.  But when film is
transferred to video tape it looks better than what you you have gotten in
you had originally shot it on tape.  Why is that?

Getting back to improving film, they can always double the size although I
imagine it would be pretty hard to work with 140 mm film.

Larry