Steve, I remember Dynaco.  Didn't they come in kits that you built yourself (like
Heath Kit).

Part of what you are saying about tubes and analog is unquestionably true.  But I
still have a Bogen tube amp.  While they produced rich warm sound, tube amps
introduce unacceptable (by today's standards) hum among other types of
distortion.

The reason that extremely high quality analog will always look better is because
people are analog!!!  We do not see ones and zeros and our brains make sounds and
pictures out of them.

Our eyes and ears are analog.  They depend upon light and chroma and vibrations.
Digital is a great means of storage because it can be duplicated with no
generation loss.  But all digital eventually has to be converted to analog in
order for humans to see and hear it.

The tube amp vs solid state is really not a direct analogy to digital and
analog.  The "richness" and "warmth" that is often refereed to with tube amps is
actually distortion.  Not all distortion has to sound bad.

Except when distortion (that is any straying from the original sound or addition
of sounds or colors that are not present in the original) we call it enhancement.

Larry