... las writes:

> Taking all of this into account, film still kills video.  And film is
> analog.  I can pick out any TV show that is shot in video vs film.  There
> is a new TV show that is shot in HD video.  At times it looks almost as
> good as film.  But then the video looks sometimes creeps in.

The reason why film usually looks better than analog video (i.e.: sitcoms)
is because film is actual photography, and therefore has many times the
resolution of video.

A lot of the quality of any visual presentation (film or video) depends on
the lighting. Because of the resolution of film, the director of photography
(on a movie set, for example) can have the lights adjusted so that the
smallest details are illuminated. On a video-based set, however, lighting
probably won't be as precise, because the smallest little details won't be
seen by the video cameras, and so there's no point in spending time and
money on creating perfect lighting conditions.

You can probably also tell which ones are film productions and which ones
are video productions based on the placement and movement of the cameras.
Film productions are usually shot with a single camera, whereas video
productions are usually shot with 3 or more cameras. To the accustomed eye,
the differences are quite visible.

Regards,
- Anthony Lalande