* [EMAIL PROTECTED]  on Mon, 29 Jan 2001
| Please clarify....Don C. suggested that THX certified equipment has
| nothing to do with processing, but the certification is a set of
| guidelines required to achieve an " optimal" theatre sound. [...]

That is correct.

| And why suggest to the McIntosh amp owner to listen to the THX module
| before purchasing one and listen to the differences?

Because you should always listen to the component before buying it.

| Is a THX certified receiver merely a marketing ploy, or is there actually
| an EQ applied, or some other DSP application VS any other 5.1 receiver?
| Seems to me there must be a difference in the processing somewhere?

It means that the receiver has been certified by THX as meeting their
minimum audio and video quality requirements.  It means that the component
has passed their test.  Having the certificate means that it will look and
sound good, but it does not mean that it will look and sound better than a
every component that has never been tested.  For example, the NAD T-760
receiver was never tested, so it does not have the certification, but it
sounds better than a lot of receivers that do have the THX logo, like, say,
anything from Pioneer in its class, and I'd be willing to put it against
anything comparable from Onkyo as well.
--
Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    \ When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ returned to its special container and