From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Please clarify....Don C. suggested that THX certified equipment has
nothing to do with processing, but the certification is a set of guidelines
required to achieve an " optimal" theatre sound. Then what exactly makes an
audio receiver THX certified? And why suggest to the McIntosh amp owner to
listen to the THX module before purchasing one and listen to the
differences?

I did not say there was not processing involved. I said that THX is not some
surround sound encoding format or any variant thereupon. There IS special EQ
processing involved (or 'frequency tailoring' as I recently heard a THX
representative refer to it...snicker). The EQing is designed to achieve a
certain uniform frequency response that will more closely emulate what the
engineers heard in the studio. It's a good idea in theory, but it fails in
execution imo. Too many variables in acoustic environments. But it's an
attempt...

Don C.