From: "Donald Person" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Well everyone -- I think we're fighting a losing battle. While I
personally love MD, I think it's dying out here in the US. The manufacturers
didn't do enough in the advertising department to begin with, and now many
manufacturers are pulling out of MD all together!

Sad. But perhaps those manufacturers making and marketing MD should try a
new approach. Perhaps MD should instead be marketed as an outstanding
portable recording medium...which it is.

It is not, nor will it ever be, a replacement (or even serious competition)
for CD portables.

However, as a live recording medium, that is another matter altogether. I
yields recorded quality very comparable to DAT (albeit data compressed) in a
format that is much more user friendly. I used to make live recordings with
a portable DAT recorder. It was bulky, heavy, and ridiculously fidgety to
mess with. My MD recorder on the other hand, is light, small, and the
settings are incredibly easy to manipulate on the fly. It is a portable
recordists dream format.

> This is so bloody ridiculous!! MD is far better than CD-R or CD-RW!

Sorry. But here I cannot agree with you. How can a data compressed format
possibly be superior to a properly dithered uncompressed digital recording?
This statement just doesn't make sense.

In certain applications, MD is easier to use. I can't imagine trying to do
"stealth" recording with a CD recorder for example. But MD "far better" than
CD-R or CD-RW? Hardly.

Don C.