Dan Scellen wrote:

> When I went to the same Best Buy a couple months ago to see about buying an
> MD minisystem, the salesperson tried to convince me that MD was dead.  He
> said that it has no advantages over any other format.  How can we expect MD
> to become mainstream like this?  If I didn't know what I was talking about
> there, he surely would have convinced me against minidisc.

Dan, this all goes back to the discussion that we frequently have here about
what idiots they hire at best buy and circuit city.

For example, I was in a Best Buy in a large upscale area north of
Philadelphia.  There were a young male and female sales person standing around
the CD department.  Now this is their department.  This is where they work.
one was the manager.

You'd expect that they would have at least a minimal knowledge about CDs and
the format.  I asked them where the HDCD CDs were.  The girl looked at the guy.
and deferred to him.  He said "what's that?!!!

When I described HDCD CDs, they just told me that if they had any they would be
mixed in with the other CDs.  They didn't have a separate section for them.  No
kidding.  How can you have a separate section for something they you don't even
know exists!!!

But what really gets me (most of my experience is with Circuit City, which I
try to avoid buying things in if it is at all possible) is the attitude and
arrogance of these stupid people.

I'm sure there are exceptions (probably people working there until they find a
job that they really want) but for the most part, the sales persons that they
hire are losers who are really only qualified to be sweeping the floors.

I don't understand how these places have gotten so big.  Their prices aren't
good either.  But there seems to be some kind  of price fixing going on because
many of the competing stores seem to have the same prices.

Larry