John Small wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:40:22 -0800, "Don Capps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >You're telling me that compressing the file twice doesn't effect the audio
> >quality? Not sure I'm getting you here.
>
> The claim has been made that you can record a CD to MD, then re-record MD to MD
> via analog inputs about 8-9x before noticeable degredation becomes apparent.  I
> have not verified this but I've seen it claimed on several occasions by those
> who have tested it.

Here is a link to a site with examples of multiple generation MD copying
loss.

http://www.minidisc.org/generations.html

As for recording mp3s to MD, I do it all the time.  I've got most of my
CD collection on my hard drive in MP3 format at 160 kb/s (compromise
between size and quality) using the lame encoder.  I make MDs to listen
to on my commute on the train to and from work.  The sound is just fine,
since there is a lot of traffic and train noise.  Even when I listen at
home, the degradation from 160 kb/s mp3 to MD isn't noticeable.

-steve